IA Interior Architects translates client goals, brand and culture into powerful environments built around people, processes, technologies and business drivers. Our clients in diverse markets worldwide require high-performance, visually compelling and sustainable environments to move their enterprise forward, support their culture, engage their staff, integrate technology and drive efficiencies. As architects, designers, workplace strategists and environmental specialists in the largest global architecture firm concentrating exclusively on interiors, we help clients articulate and align their business strategies and core values with the dynamic use of space.
We are presently searching for an engaging Design Director in our Atlanta office to help lead our Workplace interior architecture practice. As a Design Director, you will articulate and bolster an elevated design vision with staff, clients, and prospective clients, and ensure it is manifested in all project work, consistent with firm-wide design standards.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Monitors project design development. Oversees and at times executes design presentations.
- Reviews and approves project space plans and selections of fixtures and finishes.
- Introduces and advocates for innovative design concepts, staying ahead of interior design trends.
- Promotes an integrated approach across IA's practice areas including strategy, design, lighting, EGD, Workplace guidelines, and technical expertise.
- Maintains awareness of overall project design budgets and works with Project Manager to monitor for profitability, scope adjustments, and schedule impacts.
- Mentors and develops all Design staff; directly manages Senior Designers including providing project oversight and ongoing performance feedback, in addition to participating in employee performance reviews.
- Initiates opportunities and leads efforts to educate office studio on design principles, innovation, trends.
- Builds and develops client and business relationships, including identifying, pursuing and securing new opportunities.
- Participates in design leadership forums across the firm to foster and promote design.
- Stays actively engaged with the broader West Coast interior design community and professional associations through design thought-leadership, speaking opportunities, conference panels, and workshops.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited architecture or design school.
- 10+ years progressive experience working on commercial interior design projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Comprehensive knowledge of the commercial interior architecture and design industry.
- Expert interior architectural detailing skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of working drawing techniques and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of building systems, codes and ADA requirements.
- Comprehensive knowledge of design principles, practices and aesthetics including furnishings and equipment.
- Deep understanding of and ability to articulate how design connects to strategy in the corporate workplace practice and how that can positively affect a client's business and workplace design.
- Highly developed presentation and graphic communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate a design concept to designers, technical staff and clients.
- Ability to lead and influence staff through a combination of professional savvy, personal charisma, and subject-matter expertise.
- Working knowledge of budget preparation.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Expert sketching and rendering skills.
- Advanced Revit skills strongly preferred.
- Advanced Adobe Suite skills.
All levels of Management staff have the same working conditions. For the majority of the time all staff will be working sitting in an office with limited physical requirements. On occasion individuals will be required to visit a client site to perform site verifications and field surveys. This may require individuals to bend, stretch, twist and reach. The position is not subject to occupational and safety risks.
Interior Architects, Inc. (IA) provides equal opportunity in all aspects of recruitment and employment to all persons without regard to their race, color, creed, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital status, nationality, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, uniformed service member and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunities.